Personality Test Matrix

For a Financial Services client, I was challenged to create a personality test based on a set of six key personas, each of which had associated behaviours.

Originally this activity was presented as a paper-based workshop activity with a large paper “place mat” of the matrix, and individual slips of paper for the behaviours.

I used Storyline to convert this concept to a dynamic quiz, which randomised these behaviours for rating by the user, and presented the results on a digital matrix.

18 behaviours were presented, one at a time. The user rated their own experience with this behaviour on both their skill level, and how energising or draining they found it to perform. The slide automatically proceeds to the next behaviour when both items are rated, however the user can return to a previous question using the arrows.

Rating behaviours with two sets of radio buttons

The results appeared like this – each behaviour is placed at the point on the the two axes where it was rated.
The learner can then consider how their skills and energy levels are best applied to each persona.

The quiz results stepped through the behaviours associated with each of the six Personas. as the activity was designed to encourage self-reflection on workplace capability and company values. It was not designed to give a single “results” page like a Buzzfeed quiz to see which kind of instant ramen best represents your personality.

Results screen for behaviours associated with one Persona type.

A look behind the scenes on the Master slide for the results. I considered multiple ways of solving the problem of presenting all the numbers. Since it would be possible to have 1, 2 and 3 rated into the same sector of the matrix, I couldn’t just use one marker for each spot, using states for example.

I used the slide master with a layer for each set of numbers (the Ones layer shown here) with all the numbers offset from one another so they could all appear in the one box if need be without getting in each other’s way.

All the ones

The code to place the behaviours on the matrix was on the Slide Master for re-use.
A snippet of the trigger action below. A separate trigger was required for each of the 48 instances of numbers.


This project was a technical and design challenge, with more complicated use of triggers and variables than I had previously experienced. I was pleased that I managed to convert a reasonably complex “real world” activity into a digital one, without compromising the functionality of the original activity to meet the sometimes-limited possibilities of Storyline.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s